05 Jun TEMARI SUSHI
Temari Sushi is an elegant and simple way to create bespoke Japanese sushi.
With the right tools and ingredients, you can create beautiful dishes for your guests.
The Temari ball structure consists of two layers. The rice ball is below and a delicate topping of your choice on top. The topping is said to resemble the Japanese embroidered ball which is called Temari.
For the bottom rice ball layer:
1 cup Sushi rice
1 teaspoon Mirin Seasoning
1 teaspoon Sugar
Pinch of Salt
1 teaspoon Soy sauce
For the top layer:
Here you can use any ingredient of your choice. Some examples are detailed below.
Some Vegan recommendations are:
Tools you will need:
- Cook sushi rice and add Mirin, sugar, salt and soy sauce.
- Cut a sheet of cling film and place a small ball of sushi rice in the middle.
- Shape the sushi into a ball whilst in Clingfilm.
- Set your rice balls on to a plate and cover with Clingfilm.
- Prepare your toppings. Cut the ingredients as thin and as delicately as possible. You can use shape cutters to create lovely patterns.
- Place your topping on to the Clingfilm and put a rice ball on top. Close the ball in the Clingfilm with your palm to create the final temari ball.
- Use toppings such as edible flowers to create stunning designs.
Here is a link to an instructional video by Jun’s Kitchen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIF4Imp92OM